Green Card

Many people have a wide variety of questions about how to remain with their family or be re-united with them. At the Law Office of Adam Sanders, we offer sound advice concerning family based green cards and visas.

Green cards may be acquired for certain types of loved ones. If you are a U.S. citizen, you can apply for a green card for your spouse, child, or parent who has entered the country legally, even if the overstayed their visa. In these situations, you may apply immediately and there is no wait list. Your application may be processed in as little as four months.

If you are a United States citizen and your child is over the age of 21 or you are applying on behalf of a sibling, these individuals are subject to a wait list, and there are quotas capping the number of applications of this kind every year. Currently, the wait list is quite long, so the sooner you seek our firm to start the application process, the better position you will be in. If your adult child or sibling is in the United States, they have, in most cases, have to have also entered the country legally and be ‘in status’.

Our attorneys can help you determine if you are eligible for any type of family visa since we understand there are many complicated factors to consider to be eligible to apply for a green card in the United States.

There are certain exceptions for those in the U.S. who may have filed a petition with U.S. CIS or the Department of Labor prior to April 30, 2001. It is important to discuss whether your loved one qualifies to adjust their status and obtain their permanent residence in the United States.

The attorney will advise as to whether returning home is a valid option. Additionally, if you are married to an American but entered the country illegally, you may qualify for a green card, unless you are the beneficiary of a petition or labor certification filed before April 30th, 2001. Likewise, if you initially entered the United States illegally and returned to your native country voluntarily to seek a green card, you may be allowed to return for 10 years in many cases. The only way to avoid this penalty is if the person returning to their native country does so while they are under the age of 18.

If you have questions about how to obtain a green card for a spouse, fiancé, or other member of your family, please do not hesitate to contact us for an initial consultation in New York City. We look forward to working with you.