Temporary Work Visas

The H-1B is a non-immigrant temporary work visa that allows employers in New York and the rest of the country to temporarily employ foreign workers in specialty occupations. The regulations define a “specialty occupation” as requiring theoretical and practical application of a body of highly specialized knowledge in a certain technical field. The H-1 B visas requires the attainment of a bachelor’s degree or its equivalent in work experience as a minimum. The job offered must require a bachelor’s degree to qualify.

Our attorneys regularly help you obtain H-1B visas for their work in the following professions:

  • Architecture
  • Engineering
  • Mathematics
  • Physical sciences
  • Social sciences
  • Biotechnology
  • Medicine and health
  • Education
  • Law
  • Accounting
  • Numerous other professions

The initial H-1B will be granted for a period of three years and could be extended for an additional three years. The visa is an excellent option for those intending to live permanently in the U.S. and it permits you to pursue permanent residence while on that visa under the doctrine of “dual intent”. For more information about how to qualify for an H-1B visa, please contact our office today to schedule a consultation at our New York City office.

We will work with your employer to gather all the necessary documentation needed for your H-1B visa application while maintaining your confidentiality. We will also counsel you about the caps regarding these types of visas and the enrollment period.

Additional H-1B Visa Parameters

An H-1B is a specialty occupation work visa that is strictly limited to employment by the sponsoring employer. This means if a foreign worker who has H-1B status quits or is dismissed from the sponsoring employer, or they must leave the country and return to their native country. Our immigration attorneys can help you explore these alternatives to help you remain in the United States.

We can also help immigrants who are holding a student visa and want to convert their immigration status by applying for an H1-B employment visa once they graduate form college and obtain a job in the field in which they have studied.

Whatever your current situation, we will answer any questions you may have and help you prepare to apply for an H-1B visa. You will need documentation for your application, and we will guide you through the preparation process. Feel free contact us to discuss your H-1B visa with an experienced immigration lawyer today.